Executive Director Job Description
The Executive Director is responsible for the successful leadership and management of the Tullahoma Art Center according to the strategic direction set by the Board of Directors.
Primary duties and Responsibilities
The Executive Director is responsible for the following:
- Participate with the Board in the implantation of the vision and strategic plan to guide the Tullahoma Art Center.
- Identify, assess, and inform the Board of internal and external issues that affect the Tullahoma Art Center
- Act as a professional advisor to the Board on all aspects of the Tullahoma Art Center’s activities
- Foster effective team work among the Board, the Executive Director and staff
- Act as the primary spokesperson for the Tullahoma Art Center
- Conduct official correspondence on behalf of the Board as appropriate and jointly with the Board when appropriate
- Represent the Tullahoma Art Center at community activities to enhance the organization’s community profile
Operational planning and management
- Develop an operational plan to implement the Board’s vision and strategic plan
- Oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day operation of the Tullahoma Art Center
- Draft policies for the approval of the Board and prepare procedures to implement organizational policies; review existing policies on an annual basis and recommend changes to the Board as appropriate
- Ensure personnel, financial, client, donor and volunteer files are securely stored and privacy/confidentiality is maintained, as appropriate.
- Provide support to the Board by developing meeting agenda and supporting materials
- Program planning and management
- Oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of the Tullahoma Art Center’s programs and services
- Ensure the programs and services offered by the Tullahoma Art Center contribute to the organization’s mission and reflect the priorities and approved budget of the Board
- Monitor the day-to-day delivery of the programs and services of the Tullahoma Art Center to maintain or improve quality
Human resources planning and management
- Determine staffing requirements for organizational management and program delivery
- Facilitate the development and maintenance of human resources policies, procedures and practices including the development of job description for all staff
- Oversee the implementation of the human resources policies, procedures and practices
- Establish a positive, healthy and safe work environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations
- Recruit, interview and select staff that have the technical and personal abilities to help further the Tullahoma Art Center’s mission
- Ensure that all staff receives an orientation to the Tullahoma Art Center and that appropriate training is provided
- Supervise staff using a performance management process which includes monitoring performance on an on-going basis and conduction an annual performance review
- Discipline staff when necessary using legally defensible procedures
- Make promotion, reassignment and/or release recommendations to the Board of Directors.
Financial planning and management
- Work with staff, the Board to prepare an annual comprehensive budget
- Work with the Board to secure adequate funding for the operation of the Tullahoma Art Center
- Research funding sources, oversee the development of fund raising plans and write funding proposals to increase the funds of the Tullahoma Art Center
- Participate in fundraising activities as appropriate
- Approve expenditures within the authority delegated by the Board
- Follow that sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures
- Administer the funds of the Tullahoma Art Center according to the approved budget and monitor the monthly cash flow of the Tullahoma Art Center
- Provide the Board with comprehensive, regular reports on the revenues and expenditure of the Tullahoma Art Center
- Ensure that the Tullahoma Art Center complies with all mandated state and federal reports and filings
- Communicate with stakeholders to keep them informed of the work of the Tullahoma Art Center
- Establish good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, the media, funders, and other agencies
- Work with the Board, staff, volunteers and auxiliary groups to develop and expand the Tullahoma Art Center’s visibility and brand recognition through public and media relations, print and web-based programs and other marketing activities
- Oversee publicity for the programs and activities of the Tullahoma Art Center
- Serve as the primary spokesperson for the Tullahoma Art Center
- Identify and evaluate the risks to the Tullahoma Art Center’s members, staff and general public; to its property, finances, goodwill and image, and to implement appropriate measures to control risks.
- Ensure that the Board of Directors and the Tullahoma Art Center carries appropriate and adequate insurance coverage
- Ensure that the Board and staff understand the terms, conditions and limitations of the insurance coverage
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Required a post-secondary degree
- Any combination of training, experience and education which provides required knowledge, skills and ability to perform the duties of the position
- Previous experience with non-profit management and grant writing is preferred
- A background or interest in the visual arts is preferred
- Excellent computer, web and software skills on PC platforms
- Experience with Quick books
- Should possess the personal characteristics generally recognized as essential for public employees, including integrity, initiative, emotional maturity, dependability, courtesy, good judgment, and the ability to work cooperatively with others
The Executive Director usually works in an office environment, but the mission of the Tullahoma Art Center may sometimes take the director to nonstandard workplaces.
Salary Position with an occasion working Saturdays and two Sundays per month. $20.00 per hour.
The Executive Director is an exempt employee with a flexible 12.5-hour work per week and will often work evening and weekend hours to accommodate activities such as Board meetings, classes and representing the Tullahoma Art Center at public events.
Deadline: Monday, July 9, 2018
TO APPLY: Send cover letter, resume and 3 professional references to:
Tullahoma Art Center
401 S. Jackson Street
Tullahoma, TN 37388